Wednesday 9 September 2015

I thought I'd share some photos that track the progress of a painting. This is The Purple Pushy from early stages to finished work. I take photos as I work - it's great to keep a record of the stages a painting goes through, but also because I can see the defects in a piece more clearly by looking at a photo of it.

Not every painting works out. Sometimes I work for days before I get a sense that the piece I'm working on will actually turn into something special. At those times it is a challenge to continue rather than resigning the picture to the bin. I've learnt that process and patience is the key. 

Enjoy

Early stage - wobbly wheels and all

Getting that wet pavement right gave me confidence!

Decision time - how much detail should the background hold?

A few more finishing touches...

This is the final picture that currently hangs in my exhibition.
One viewer was astounded, telling me he couldn't believe
that the lines of the wheel spokes were 'there but not there'. I love those reactions.





No comments:

Post a Comment