Wednesday 23 September 2015

Illustration work this fortnight has centred on images for Rosemary Whittaker's wonderful Pom Pom books. This is a back cover image, painted twice the size it will appear on the book. When the illustration is reduced all the fine detail remains and gives a nice crisp image.



Pom Pom is a very cheeky monkey who has decided to live with young James and his parents. He leaves a trail of mess and startled people wherever he goes, but he barely seems to notice. He is sure that everyone appreciates him as much as he appreciates himself.

Painting Pom Pom is great fun as Rosemary usually gives me a few chapters to read prior to beginning work. The stories are full of life and humour, so selecting subject matter is easy - I'm spoilt for choice. We discuss options with the help of some quick sketches sent through our favourite messaging system, and then I'm off.

I usually send through a progress photo for Rosemary like the one below. I know what it's like to wait, and wait, and wait for a picture to appear-and I'm the one doing the work!



I'm in Australia and Rosemary lives in Denmark. To me, that means Pom Pom is one international little monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment